Thursday, April 15, 2010

Setting my perspective straight

Day 2 - 12th April 2010

This day was a confusing one for me.

I was so busy at work that day, and after work I had to rush to Tinna's house for dinner and by the time I got back it was already 1030pm.

Having just started this project, I naturally forgot about it and it was only til 11pm that I SUDDENLY REMEMBERED I HAD A SMILE TO EARN!! I thought and thought, the clock was ticking, my heart started racing and in my head I was panicking. It was going to be 12 and I haven't done anything! It was like a time bomb. In my head, I was starting to feel disappointment. Disappointment that I failed my task, that I didn't and couldn't accomplish Day 2.

Then it struck me.

Why am I panicking? Its not like I've got an exam to study for, or a deadline to meet. Where's the joy in all that? I don't wanna be doing acts of kindness cause I need to meet a deadline. That would defeat the whole purpose! Had it become a chore already?

No. No. NO. I don't want that. Had to set my perspective straight again. Whats the use of making somebody happy when you don't have a cheerful heart?

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves a cheerful giver. - 2 Corinthians 9:7

So I decided that it was ok to forgo Day 2 and decided to think about how blessed I was instead!

Who were the people that made me smile today?

Tinna and Tinna's whole family. I was invited over for dinner and had a taste and reminder of what family life was like! Oh, how I miss my family!! I was standing in the kitchen, her mum was frying vegetables, her dad was sitting at the dining table, tinna was bickering with her little sister, and I felt tears welling in my eyes.

I miss home.
I miss family.
I miss eating my mum's home cooked food.
I miss disturbing Luke and talking to Mark.
I miss my Dad's insight.

Ok, I'm going too far off tangent. Snap back to reality! Ok, so yes, I had a taste of what a family dinner would be like in Taiwan!! Her mum cooked sooooo many dishes and it all tasted soooo delicious. Not to forget, we even had HOME-MADE red milk tea with pearls!! Best way to end the dinner. She even packed lunch for me the next day. How awesome is that.

So this was a glimpse of dinner that I brought to work the next day. Salmon, beef, chicken, herbal egg. SO. GOOD. Beats eating cereal any day.

Her mum even gave me half a container of taiwan red tea leaves so that I can brew my own bubble tea at home. If I could write chinese on this computer, the word that best describes what I'm feeling would be: xin fu.


The other person that made me smile was Kah Wai. He messaged me on facebook to encourage me about my project of love just when I needed it. He gave me tons of encouragement and support and it just made my day. He made me feel that persevering with this project was the right thing to do (and its only the 2nd day!).

He even told me that I've actually fulfilled Day 2...cause I was receiving all these encouragement from facebook that said my project made them smile! I don't know whether that's counted but to all those who are supporting me out there, a BIG THANK YOU to you. I appreciate it more than you know.

Thank you for making me smile. =)

4 comments:

  1. Janice, you make me smile when you say miss my home cooked food. You know I need the encouragement. Thank you.

    Truly God has blessed you in so many ways, and I am amazed at His love for you and us. I asked that God will grant you wisdom and joy as you embark on this project of love. Tune your ears and eyes to His leading. Enjoy the journey, enjoy the view, learn from the experiences and struggles, and encourage us with your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..its true!! I've ALWAYS said I liked your home-cooked food. Yummyyyy..I think even if your dish had no taste, it would still be nice.. there's a difference between outside food and home-cooked food u know? The difference is love.

    Anyway..yes!!..im enjoying the journey so far.. I know my eyes will be opened by the end of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOO!! HI BERNICE!!! Didn't think I'd see you here. and yes, xin fu is the word. So so xin fu. =D

    ReplyDelete